Megan McCann is the CEO and Founder of McCann Partners, a Chicago-based technology recruitment firm which finds and places the industry’s best mid-to executive-level technology professionals on a contract, contract-to-hire, and direct-hire basis. Her firm excels at mixing talented people and innovative workplaces together to achieve success for all.
She is also one of the co-founders of ARA, a business committed to attracting, retaining, and advancing women in technology roles and leadership. ARA helps businesses bolster the numbers and the influence of women working and advancing in technology roles, while helping women navigate IT career paths and challenges. What started out as a dinner between best friends turned into a mission to make a difference by making the technology industry an industry of opportunity for everyone, no matter who they are, what they look like, or where they come from.
When asked about what inspired her to start both companies, Megan responded by saying, “the catalyst for founding both McCann Partners and ARA was a desire to open doors for others. That continues to be my guiding principle and daily inspiration for doing what I love at McCann Partners and ARA. If I am helping open doors to opportunity, challenge, innovation, creativity and success, I am doing something important.”
Looking to pursue a career in technology? Look below for a list of tips from Megan!
1) GO FOR IT!
2) Adapt. Change is the only constant so turn it into positive momentum.
3) Ask. If you don’t, you won’t give someone the opportunity to say yes. And, as Oprah Winfrey says,“You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.”
4) Be Confident. Believe in yourself and your abilities…others will follow.
5) Find Allies. Know who is in your corner and how to leverage their advice and counsel.
6) Keep Perspective. If you focus too intently on pleasing others, you’ll please no one while losing yourself in the process.
7) Know Your Super Power. You have one – we all do! Knowing is believing and believing is empowering.
8) Love What You Do. You will never work a day in your life if you truly love what you do.
9) Make Mistakes. You take away lessons not only from your victories but from every single one of your defeats, no matter how great or small.
10) Take Risks. The only risk you’ll ever regret is the one you didn’t take.
Contributor: Keerthi Jayamaran