- Multitasking email: Email messages are now displayed as windows, so users can open more than one at once and simply swipe to minimize a message and go back to their inbox. It is very similar to using the Safari browser tabs.
- Third party keyboards: The Android keyboard, Swype, was a huge hit, and now it is available for download on the iOS8 for $1.
- No hands needed Siri: Enable “Hey Siri” in one’s Settings, and Siri will wake up to deal with any question as soon as the words are uttered. It can be useful, and entertaining, when the phone is plugged in.
- Touch ID for third parties: Touch ID was a huge component of unlocking the iPhone 5S and 5C and not needing a passcode, but now it can be using in other apps, such as Evernote, Mint, LastPass, and others. Soon, entering passwords will be a thing of the past.
- Monitoring battery life: Apple has allowed users to see which apps are taking up most of the battery juice. A list of apps and how much battery life is consumed when a specific app is in use can be shown. Also, certain apps will display why so much energy is being used and what the consumer can do to sustain his or her battery life.
Contributor: Chelsea Edirisuriya