The Handwork Studio is where kids learn by making. Their mission is to pass down the tradition of teaching practical arts such as sewing, woodworking, machine sewing, embroidery, quilting, fashion, baking, and crafts in a fun and relaxed environment. With over 25 locations, The Handwork Studio Summer Day Camps are held in six states, mostly in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Handwork Studio’s summer camp program is a unique, creative, fun and educational way for children to learn by creating in a positive and nurturing environment. The Handwork Studio is designed to… build trust, educate, care and create.
Position #1: Summer Arts Counselor
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach class by following The Handwork Studio Curriculum
- Assist in ensuring all staff are adhering to The Handwork Studio mission and values
- Report all staffing related issues
- Report supply needs
- Manage changes and additions to class enrollment
- Participate in set-up and break-down of site(s). (Depending on region, may need to set up and break down multiple times throughout the course of your summer employment.)
- Participate in all required trainings
- Know the whereabouts of campers at all times
- Ensure safety of children at all times
- Complete self-evaluation meet with manager(s) halfway through camp tenure and at end of camp season
- Provide feedback for staff evaluations halfway through camp tenure and at end of camp season
- Bountiful energy to sit, stand, sing, and stitch throughout the day
- Classroom management and teaching skills
- A passion for crafting
- Crafting skill level: Competent crafter in any of the following needle arts but not limited to hand and machine sewing, knitting, crocheting, weaving, woodworking, baking etc.
- Keeps work space organized and tidy
- Interpersonal communication skills for working with counselors and children
- Nurturing and compassionate with a sense of humor
- Experience working with children preferably through summer camp experience
- Must have reliable transportation to arrive to shift on time
- Available to complete approximately 15 hours of pre-camp training (generally the month of May)
- Available to attend our Summer Orientation either on June 9th in Rosemont, PA (outside of Philadelphia) or June 10th in Washington, DC
- Must be able to lift and carry 35 lbs, such as sewing machines, fabric bolts, trunks of materials, etc.
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Maintained mental and physical alertness
- Required to wear The Handwork Studio apron during work hours. Apron is provided by The Handwork Studio
- All other duties as assigned
- Follow The Handwork Studio rules and regulations
- Represent The Handwork Studio according to its missions and goals
Position #2: Summer Camp Operations Internship
Position Overview: The Summer Camp Operations Intern is an opportunity for you to help build and ingrain a strong culture and relationship throughout The Handwork Studio community. This position will have you actively engage with The Handwork team, campers, staff, and families. As an intern, you will also be tasked to oversee that program retain their quality and integrity by meeting its stated mission and goals. You will work closely with the Director of Curriculum, Site Directors in the region, and other department leaders to ensure all operations on the campuses are running quality programs and providing a top-notch experience for any and all participants of our organization. Openings in the Washington D.C. area, Philadelphia region and New Jersey/New York region.
Camp life moves very quickly. Summer Camp Operations Intern can expect to be faced with a variety of complex situations simultaneously and must prioritize based on importance and urgency.
- Develop meaningful relationships with the HWS and Sidwell team to ensure a high level of trust and engagement.
- Provide on-call and on-site assistance to resolve a variety of issues while campers are on location
- Assist in the evaluating process for team members
- Serve as backup to the site director and HWS team who oversees program logistics and the safety and security of camper participants.
- Observe and review curriculum implementation in the camp program for consistency
- Have completed 2 years of college education preferably in the area of management, business, or entrepreneurship
- Some experience in a school, camp, or other educational settings would be preferred but not required.
- Some experience in a management position preferred but not required.
- Eligible for college credit
- Willingness to submit to a criminal background screening and professional reference check
- Hours will meet the requirements of the internship
Other (Preferred) Qualifications
- Ability to travel in region
- Mastery, experience, and passion relating to and working with elementary and middle school students
- Exceptional planning, prioritization and execution skills
- Ability to communicate in a direct and sensitive fashion with all stakeholders
- Calm under pressure and ability to manage stress and balance others
- Energetic and possessed of stamina and endurance
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently as well as lead, support and encourage a team
Position #3: Marketing Internship
The three areas of concentration are: Marketing, Multimedia and Online/Social Media. Below you will read the specific responsibilities and goals each position entails:
- Research and complete competitive analysis
- Maintain and update press contact list and school contact list
- Setup and assist during special marketing events and camp fairs
- Update and maintain email database
- Assist with customer services such as live chat
- Assist promotional staff off site at promotional events
- Update and maintain content on the website at TheHandworkStudio.com
- Visit locations and film, photograph and record camp activities
- Prepare a final 60-second promotional video for summer camp
- Create weekly Instagram Videos
- Edit and produce final images and video files
- Optimize and upload videos to YouTube profile
- Manage content calendar and schedule posts
- Create blog posts per content calendar
- Manage social media conversations on Facebook, Twitter, G+, LinkedIn,
- Create content as assigned for email marketing pieces.
- Work with multimedia intern to use photo and video content on social sites
- 10 – 20 hours a week
- Must receive credit for this internship (this is an unpaid internship)
- Computer, Internet connection and own photo and video equipment for working remotely
- A vehicle is not necessary, but intern will need to ensure on-time arrival for work and possible travel to our headquarters or other locations/events.
Due to the time based and nature of our operation, interns are sometimes assigned tasks that go above and beyond the aforementioned duties. In addition, interns are assigned duties or tasks on a case-by-case basis based on their individual strengths.